August 5, 2010

Sweet Fig Appetizer

Figs are in season right now. I bet you have a neighbor that has a fig tree and is drowning in figs. We went over to our neighbors a couple of days ago and picked sweet figs until my fingers were sticky. I love eating them outright and I also enjoy canning them into fig jam or just preserved figs. However, this is the perfect simple appetizer for the tender morsels. You'll see many recipes with the figs wrapped in prosciutto, but that's a little out of my price range. Instead you can serve them like this...

Sweet Fig Appetizer

figs
soft, salty cheese like goat, blue, gorgonzola, etc
walnuts, crushed into little bits
honey

Remove the stems and wash the figs. Halve them and put them on a broiling pan. Press a bit of the cheese into the seeded middle part of the fig. Broil for 8 minutes or until the cheese is browning. Remove figs to a serving platter and sprinkle on your walnuts and drizzle with honey. Delicious!


You can also do this without the broiling. Just put the figs on a platter and sprinkle with the gorgonzola (or other cheese) then shake on a little balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with nuts. Either way you have a winner that looks like you and Martha S. have been hanging out!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I've made both versions and they were delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed them. I actually just made the cold version this past week.

      Delete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...